Saturday, November 10

Paint Chip Tree Cards

As seen in the Oct/Nov 2008 issue of Paper Trends magazine!

Here are three quick and simple holiday cards that I created using, ... wait for it, ... Paint Chips! Yup, that's right! Those sample swatch sheets of color that you get from the paint or hardware store before you buy the full gallon.


I chose Behr's wide 5"x6" paint chip samples to design these cards. I decided to use the paint chips on an angle to create a more dynamic design.


First I started by cutting the text off of the left side of the chip.



Next I trimmed off the remaining two rounded corners, leaving me with a rectangle.



Then I cut the rectangle in half on the diagonal, from corner to corner, giving me two triangles.


Finally I measured the left side of my triangle. I marked the same measurement on the long side of the triangle and trimmed from corner point to the mark to make the base of my tree.



I now have two trees ready to decorate!



I titled this one "Celebrate Tree." For this smaller card, I created a slightly smaller triangle. I tore a strip of green cardstock to create my deckled edge "ground" and attached it to the bottom of the card. I accented the tree with white snowflake brads and a ribbon "trunk." Finally I finished this simple card with sheer ribbon and a rub-on.




This is my "Twin Pines" card. For this card, I first covered my folded base cardstock with a snowy patterned paper. I then adhered a torn strip of white textured cardstock along the bottom to make "snow." I again accented my trees with white snowflake brads and ribbon "trunks."






My final card is called "Christmas Tree" and it is the most colorful of the trio. Like my "Twin Pines" card, I started with a similar snowy backdrop. But I made this one more playful by accenting the tree with a wooden star and colorful button "ornaments." I finished it off with a length of red plaid ribbon.





Hope you like my cards and are inspired to create your own designs using paint chips. If you would like to see more pics of these cards, check them out in my online portfolio

27 comments:

Jackie said...

You are so clever - those are wonderful, thanks for sharing that idea!

Anonymous said...

Uh-oh...better warn the paint departments. I think there's going to be a sudden shortage of paint chips that may last until Christmas!!

Allison Rankin said...

These are great...now I have to head to Home Depot to raid their selection!

Anonymous said...

How fun are these! Absolutely adorable.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous idea! Very clever! :)

The Crafty Chik said...

OMG!!! Those are just WAY TOO CREATIVE! I LOVE THEM! Thank you for sharing this fabulous idea!

Unknown said...

That is so clever. Now I have a reason to get out of the house. "DH, we need to go to Home Depot"

MarieK said...

I love this idea! I have a ton of paint chips left over from stamping on (when they first were popular a few years ago) and now I have something NEW to do with them!

Thanks so much for sharing this clever idea with us all!

Yes I will be "CASING" this idea but I will definately credit you and send my readers over here to see for themselves!

Anonymous said...

What an awesome idea! You have really inspired me for my Christmas cards this year - definitely going to swipe a bunch of paint cards from Lowe's & Home Depot, ha ha. I think my family will love these as much as you do, and I've already shared this with lots of friends and family. You are so creative!

shuggy said...

this is such a cute idea!!!

Laura Williams said...

OH MY GOSH. i LOVE using paint chips - they are like the best FREE art supply ever (I have even been known to stand in Home Depot with cardstock swatches, matching colors!). . . but i have never used them like THIS!!!! thanks for the amazing idea!!! :)

mnhyrkas said...

very clever how you cut these on the bias! Makes for a much more interesting design than a straight cut.

StampingDani said...

Awsome! Your artworks are really inspiring, thank you so much for being so creative and for sharing your ideas with us!

StampingDani

Anonymous said...

You are very creative. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful ideas.
Jan

Zarah said...

Ooooh...! SUPER cute!

Godelieve said...

Clever!!

Hermine said...

Great idea, looks fabulous.

Dymphie said...

Cute idea!

Anita said...

GREAT idea!!!!

Catharina Maria said...

This is a clever idea !

Unknown said...

Wonderful idea and such adorable cards!

Jan Scholl said...

I have a small box full of paint chips-I take some every time I see them-but then forget what I wanted them for. This is way cute. There should be a place to submit cutie stuff like this!

Benga said...

so cool! thanks for sharing!

Natasha Mairs - Serenity You said...

hi, Just to let you know that I have featured your card on my blog

www.serenityyou.blogspot.com

Natasha xxx

The Scrapbook Lady UK said...

I have pinned this - great idea

Anonymous said...

I just hope I don't get banned from Home Depot for taking all of the paint chips. Thank you!!

Cindy deRosier said...

I'm the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your paint chip tree! You can see it here:

http://funfamilycrafts.com/paint-chip-christmas-trees/

Thanks for another great project idea!